Friday, December 31, 2010

Ringing Out The Old

2010 has been a very difficult year for me. I had a bad accident that left me in the hospital for three and a half weeks, and off work for six weeks. My recovery was slow and difficult. In fact, in some ways I am not fully recovered. Financially I am definitely not recovered. My foot and leg have gotten as good as they are going to get, but I'll always have some problems on that side. At work my teaching continuous to improve, but I wasn't really very focused on the classroom this year. Socially it also wasn't a good year. So I won't be sorry to ring out 2010.

But hard times can also be the inspiration for self improvement. I have been successful in some areas I lost some weight (not enough, but even a little is start). I started a weight lifting program and I have stuck with it. I bought a bicycle and have been using it regularly. (I did 25 miles today, a new personal best). Other than my left foot I am stronger than I have been in years. I am also fitter in cardiovascular terms than I have been in years. WHen I was in the hospital I was weaker than a new born kitten. I could not walk, I could not lift my weight without help. I needed help to reach the toilet, and I could not take a shower, because I couldn't stay upright that long. Even when I got home, I took showers sitting down for about three weeks. The first time I walked on my crutches to the corner store it took me 30 minutes to cover the 200 or so yards there and back. That spurred me to start getting into shape. I hope never again to be that weak. So there was at least one positive outcome from the experience.

So tomorrow I will address the New Year and my plans for it.

Happy New Year to all!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Brother. I do hope this year brings great things for you. I know with your discipline it certainly will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My discipline? Normally I can't discipline myself out of a paper bag! But when I feel desperate I can summon the the discipline of ten Grinches!

    ReplyDelete