Sunday, December 5, 2010

Modern Times

I had an interesting conversation with my Junior class this week. Juniors are 13 and 14 years old and too young to study in our certificate program. This particular class is quite precocious and speak English much better than most of our certificate program graduates.

Anyway, the unit we were covering was about computers, the internet, and technology. I asked them how much time they spent using the computer each day. The answers ranged from three hours to six hours a day. At first I did not believe them, but they insisted that it was true. I asked them what they did on the computer for that amount of time. They told me they did homework, emailed, used Facebook, watched movies they downloaded or streamed, watched youtube, and listened to music. I can't imagine spending that much time online. I use the computer about two hours most days (lesson planning, checking email, playing Farmville, and surfing a little bit). But some days I don't even turn my computer on.

These kids are totally wired. Some of them have 3G cell phones and surf the net with their phones. I asked them if they thought they were addicted to the internet. Three said yes, two said maybe, one said no. They didn't seem at all bothered by their addiction or possible addiction. I know they often stay up to midnight or even one or two in the morning on the internet. Then at six or so they get up and get ready to go school. Of the six kids in that class only one is in good physical shape (fit), one is fairly fit, three are obese, and one is skinny but totally lacking any muscles. These kids are only 13 and 14 years old, what will they be like in a few more years. Are they ever going to exercise, learn to love sports, spend time in nature or simply surround themselves with silence?

I asked them how many hours they thought I had spent using the computer each day when I was their age. They're guesses ranged from 2 hours to 4 hours a day. The truth of course, is that I didn't spend any time with computers at their age. There was no such thing as a home computer in those days. Nor were there cell phones. They simply can't imagine a world that isn't wired. I really worry about the upcoming generation. They are living in a different world than the one I grew up in. For younger people things simply aren't real if they aren't online. An experience isn't real and has not yet happened until it has been blogged about, tweeted about or uploaded with full color and sound.

Maybe I am just a cranky old man, but I don't have any desire to live my life online in full view of the world.

I love my students, but I really worry about their future. Maybe eventually they will kick the internet habit and actually spend time with their friends, spend time outside, and unwired, but I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting piece. The internet has changed the world. It will continue to do so. Information which was not previously available to people, now is.

    My daughter once joked that if I ever got "online" I'd never go outside again. She wasn't that far wrong, in some ways. When I wake up, I check the temp and humidity and winds in several locations, and look at the moving radar and cloud cover.

    I check headlines from all over the world. I look at a few comics. I check my mail, to and from friends and relatives all over the globe.

    I check to see what is going to be on tv, if I am living where there is one. If I am planning a flight, I will check weather and notices for the route. If I saw an interesting plane, I will look to see what kind it is, and maybe who owns it.

    I will interact, as I have done for years, with aviation enthusiasts from Perth to Berlin to Capetown and "chat" with them. If time permits (and it usually does) I enjoy watching web camera shots of scenes from everywhere: Key West, Kauai. Thailand beaches, South Africa game drives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my Dad was alive, he could answer almost every question on most subjects, or find the answer in the Encyclopedia Britannica which he had. He's gone now, but the fund of information available at my fingertips includes virtually all the knowledge of mankind. Try to think of a question which cannot be answered using good old google.

    And you know what? Most of the inf is free. And I have not touched on movies, sports, television and music. Or travel reservations, hotel reservations, car rentals etc. Or on-line shopping. Or renewing car registrations. Or paying state tax on property. Or banking. Or checking your home security cameras.

    Frankly, my biggest worry isn't addiction. It is the looming specter of a government which seems increasingly ready to begin to regulate and restrict the information now available. Wikileaks may be the lightning rod to give them an excuse, as 9-11 did for Patriot Act and full body scanners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I feel the internet is a tool, and can be used or misused. Were it not for my ability to share SOME PARTS of my life 'online', we would not know one another. I have told many people that over a decade and a half, I met people from Beijing to Banff to Bulgaria via the internet and followed it up with in-person visits which were absolutely delightful.

    I DO try to get some exercise daily, and usually do. BG has me reading books again (about when she switched, ironically, to a kindle). So I guess I feel my addiction is not hurting my quality of life. Think of where we met, and realize how very much it has enhanced, improved and made my life magical.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my defense, I'm still reading books, they're just electronic. :)

    I think your Thai student are certainly similar to their peers in the U.S. I see the same type of connectedness here.

    I thought Fin would have some things to say on this subject.

    As for me, I tend to run out of internet fairly quickly most days. The pressing crush of daily life drives me off the computer. I do feel its very important to have discipline and balance in computing as it is in all things in life. When your virtual farm, fish tank, kingdom, etc. begin to take over your life then obviously it's time to cut the cord.

    Personally, I have a difficult time remembering what life was like before google because I take for granted the ability to have answers almost immediately. I'd hate to go back to reference books. Good heavens, do you remember the Periodical Index?

    ReplyDelete