Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Birthday Surprise

Well, I am leaving for Doi Ang Khan in the morning. I am excited about seeing a part of Thailand I have not seen yet. I will certainly take lots of photos, and hopefully post some of them.

I did have a birthday a couple of weeks ago. I turned 48, only two more till I hit the big five-oh. It doesn't bother me at all, I am quite comfortable with my age, and don't particularly want to be any younger. (I would like to have the healthy constitution of a 25 year old, but I don't have any desire at all to actually be 25 again).

I told my students in Summer Term Two that my birthday was in April. I don't normally do anything to try to draw attention to myself, for sure I don't try to encourage my students to give me gifts. I occasionally get a gift from a student or a class, but I don't encourage it. I appreciate the gesture, but I don't want my students spending money on something I may not want, or be able to use. I thought I would be safe this time since my birthday was over a week after the end of that term. But they had other ideas. The last day, after I had handed out grades (unfortunately giving three failing grades to students who had not passed the level 8 test, they threw a party for me, with a cake, a silly pink princess stein, and a big poster with their pictures.

Photobucket

That is supposed to be me in the lower left, although I don't usually have a bird perched on my stomach. They know I am a birdwatcher, so that is in honor of that.

Well, a good time was had by all, even the students who failed. That is one of the things I really love about my students, no matter how disappointed they are, they can shift moods to happy and celebrating in only a few seconds.

Anyway, I need to get to bed so I can get up early.

2 comments:

  1. Just got phone call from your Dad. Definitely thinking of you and wish there were some way we could let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete