Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bike Ride

I rode 51 kilometers this morning (31.5 miles). It was a nice long ride, about two and a half hours. A friend of mine challenged me to reach 50 K during our Year End break. I wasn't quite able to do that, but I reached it about 10 days later. I am a little sore in the hands and in the triceps but my legs feel great. Another good aspect is that my average and maximum heartrate continues to fall, even as my distance and speed increase.

Photobucket

I have been relying on my bike for basic transportation for almost two weeks now. I can say that it is completely feasible to do so, even if not always convenient. I can't simply go anywhere I want, at anytime. I have to think ahead and plan to combine trips if I can. I have been averaging about ten to fifteen miles in around town riding per day. I also walk around my neighborhood more than I used to. I walk to the bank now, rather than riding my motorbike. So overall, it has been a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. That does sound great! I miss being able to ride to work, which I occasionally did before my work moved 25 miles from my home and my job responsibilities incorporated more travel. Once the days are longer again and I don't get home after dark, I hope to start riding again.

    I'm really impressed and pleased with how active your life has become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know if it is that active yet, but I just keep plugging away. If you remember the movie "What about Bob?" you will remember that Bill Murray's psychiatrist kept telling him, "Baby steps, baby steps." So I am taking baby steps, one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed. I hope to begin riding again soon. My knee has improved dramatically in the last couple of months so maybe I can begin this spring.

    ReplyDelete