Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bike Update

I have been using my bike (and my feet!) as my sole means of transport now for five weeks. I can say that it is quite feasible to do so. I can get to everywhere I need to, and in a reasonable amount of time. (Chiang Mai is not a large city, and I rarely have to travel more than ten miles). I actually get to work as quickly on a bike as I did on a motorbike. Although that is only 2.5 miles, so not that far.

On the other hand, it is less convenient going my bicycle. I don't get to the big Tesco Lotus supermarket very often simply because it is farther than I want to go, especially if I am tired, or it is the middle of the day. (The heat here can be brutal, even in the so-called cool season). I also cannot carry as much on a bike as I could on a motorbike. I have a pair of saddlebags, but they have limited capacity. I don't get out as much as I used to, and I always have to worry about where I will chain my bike. Will it be there when I get back? It makes a tempting target!

I also continue to ride recreationally. I did a 36 mile ride last week, and I am slowly working my way up Doi Suthep mountain. Although that is going to take a while yet! I have put over 700 miles on my bike in the two months that I have owned it.

This morning I was going to go go for a long ride, but when I got up, I just couldn't seem to get going. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back!

3 comments:

  1. There are very few downsides to this regimen. I have over 5,000 miles on my trek, but not too many in the past months. We have had a ridiculous amount of snow, and there is no safe place to ride on the edge of the roads.

    Just left dixie two days ago and miss it like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy you all that snow. Hopefully the weather will turn soon, and you can get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire what you are doing! Keep it up. I have decided to move closer into the CBD of New Orleans, hopefully near to the Mississippi River Trail. That will give me an almost straight shot to work and I will have convenient access to the buses and streetcars.

    ReplyDelete