Monday, September 20, 2010

Plum Deliciious!

I ate a plum today. (Actually I ate two). That may not seem like a big deal, but I haven't eaten a plum in probably five years. Plums don't grow here in Thailand, so it is hard to eat them. Well, they are occasionally available in the supermarket, but since they are imported they normally cost a king's ransom. So, I look at them with longing and then pass. But today they had some plums on sale, four for forty baht. Now, that is really cheap for fruit, even cheaper than an orange. Close examination showed why they were marked down. They were soft, very soft. Well past their prime, I decided to take a chance on them anyway. One wasn't very good, a kind of sickly sweet flavor, with no tartness at all and a pulpy consistency. They other however, was delicious, in spite of being soft. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I have two more to eat tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. I love plums ! Glad you were able to buy some. :) They are filled with great fiber and antioxidents !

    Ahh, most of us here in the USA take so much for granted...like just going to the market and buying plums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yer sis has a new blog about food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunny, I miss many of the temperate fruits that are available in The States. On the other hand, we have delicious fruits here that people in The States have never even heard of!

    Fin, I saw the food blog, I will definitely be keeping up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got to enjoy the plumb. Do you know where it came from? I have been on a big fruit kick lately. Today I ate a pluot--a cross between a plumb and an apricot. it was super delicious! Wish I could send you one!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, I don't know where the plums came from but they were from somewhere in the US. I would love to try one of your pluots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing quite so good as something you can't normally have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe we could send you dried fruit? oh nevermind,lol. That is not anywhere near real fresh fruit!

    I have been eating fruit alot lately, it just tastes so good and is a nice dessert instead of pie, cake, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my ! What kind of fruit do you have that the US has not heard of ? This would make a great post !

    My local Publix market has so many kinds and some are real scarey, let me tell you! I'm even afraid to touch some of them !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Took Sis for birthday dinner and we saw a Thai restaurant across the street. Thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keepin' dry and out of the way of the redshirts?

    ReplyDelete