Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Been awhile since I posted, but I have been busy, and am just now able to relax and blog.

I was still finishing my tale about my recent trip to Cambodia. What were my overall impressions of the country?

Well, the Cambodian people were very friendly. They were even more friendly than Thais, and they are famous for being friendly. Everyone was happy to talk to you, anytime, anywhere. You could see their gregarious nature everywhere on the street, where people constantly stopped to speak with each other, and then would move on to speak to the next person they encountered. They also liked to play. Children played tag in the streets, adults played badminton and saiy (kind of like hackey-sack with a big shuttlecock) in the parks. Cambodians live much of their lives outside, on the streets. This is understandable, since apartments are small and have no air conditioning. So people congregate outside, sitting on plastic chairs or stools under awnings to avoid the incredible heat. (More about the heat later).

Phnom Penh has broad boulevards and adequately wide streets, a legacy of the French. Their are many old colonial French buildings throughout the city, some well maintained and beautiful.

Photobucket

Some neglected and falling down.

Photobucket

(Not my pictures)

Phnom Penh is a study in contrasts, beautiful mansions and fancy apartment buildings, only a street away from shanties and flimsy walk up tenements. Most people here are very poor, but the streets are filled with Lexus SUVs. (In case you miss the point that the person is driving a Lexus, they all have "Lexus" painted in big letters on the side.) The Lexi (is that the plural of Lexus?) come as a result of NGOs and foreign governments handing them out like candy to their staffers and local bigwigs.

Photobucket

(Not my picture)

There is an extreme imbalance in wealth and income in Cambodia, partially driven by local corruption, partially driven by the billions of squandered dollars of the international donors. That topic is big enough for a post (or twenty) of its own, so I won't even get into it now.

Cambodia is a fascinating place. But it is also very frustrating at times. Nothing is organized, everything takes twice as long and three times as many people as it should, the streets are covered with garbage, it is hot and sticky. But. . . . the people are wonderfully friendly, the atmosphere is fun and lively, and you will see things there you will never see anywhere else. I will definitely go back again.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I still am baffled that such ugly atrocities could take place among such a benevolent people. I envy you the experience of visiting there (and Burma).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I understand how the atrocities occurred. Even after spending time in Cambodia, I am still baffled by what happened.

    As far as Burma, I have still only been to the border, but I hope to travel to the interior some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to see Burma but I never really thought about Cambodia as a destination before.

    ReplyDelete