Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter, Happy Songkran and Happy Birthday

This year my birthday coincided with Easter, which it does periodically. It also was New Years Eve in the Thai, Cambodian, Lao calender. Hope everyone had a good one. I spent Easter morning touring Toul Sleng Prison, the infamous Camp 21 in downtown Phnom Penh, where over twenty thousand people were interrogated and murdered by the Kmher Rouge. Quite a sombering place. I don't want to resort to trivial observations about the significance of the place, so I won't make any further comment.

I enjoyed Phnom Penh, it is a beautiful city filled with old French Colonial buildings. The people are friendly, even more friendly than Thai people are. They celebrated New Year's on Sunday and Monday. It was a much more restrained and interesting celebration than the Thai version, which has turned into a huge water fight every year.

Today I took the bus to Seim Reap. I almost died of heat stroke. OK, that is an exageration, but it was a very unpleasant six hours. Tomorrow I will head out to Angkor Wat. Although with the heat, I doubt if I can spend more than a few hours out there.

Can't post any pictures now, but I will when I get a chance.

3 comments:

  1. Your feelings about camp 21 were likely similar to mine at Dachau. It was a very sobering place.

    As you know, I am totally jealous of you going to Ankor Wat. I vividly remember when Jackie Kennedy went there with the usual uproar attendant.

    And I would have gone except for an unfortunate series of explosions in Manilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angkor Wat was pretty impressive. The town of Siem Reap was not, however. I checked out Secrets of Elephants, but it was too far from the center of town for me. I got a place where I could walk pretty much everywhere.

    ReplyDelete