Saturday, April 7, 2012

Songkran Break

I am on break from work right now. After working an outrageous schedule the last two months we have a ten day break over the traditional Thai New Year, or Songkran. Since I am planning a trip to the States at the end of the month, I am not traveling during the break. Instead I will stay here in CM, catch up on my house and yard work, exercise and try some new recipes.

I went biking today with three other friends. Two of them are in their mid fifties, and the oldest is seventy-six. We did forty-seven miles, or seventy-six kilometers. At least I did, everyone's mileage varied a bit depending on where their house is.

It was a very nice ride. We left at 6:00 AM, so that meant getting up at 4:45. But the weather was cool, slightly overcast, and the smoke that has plagued us for the last two months was washed away by last night's rain. We didn't ride fast, the older guy has slowed down since his cancer surgery last year. Still, at 76, in an all day ride, he would ride me into the ground. Actually I didn't mind going a little slow. I haven't been riding much lately, because of work and the smoke, so I am a little out of shape. We stopped half way and took a leisurely break to eat our fruit and drink our protein shakes.

I intend to ride everyday of the break, or go to the gym for weight training, so hopefully I am feeling more fit when I go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment